Panel D – The Permanent Way

With Lower Basin stretching away to the left, the Goods Warehouse part straddles a drained Lower Basin Arm. Although no records have been found the likely purpose of the warehouse may be deduced from the traffic on the tramway: cloth from the mills, bleaching works and dye works at Whitehall and Forge Mill; raw materials transported up the tramway to the mills. Other goods such as cloth, raw cotton, vitriol, dyes, and more general goods like foodstuffs, farm produce, timber etc may have been stored and distributed. The west elevation of the goods warehouse with the tramway entrance door at wharf level on the left.

On the right, the door over the waterway reaches down to water level and below that a barred iron grille would have provided underwater security. The north elevation had four windows at first floor level with one of them possibly used for hoisting purposes.

Annie – Boat No. 10, Register No. 498, Goods Boat, initially stationed at Manchester, Whaley Bridge and Bugsworth and then just at Manchester, built in November 1856. Sporting the livery: "Joseph Longson - Bugsworth", Annie is here moored in the Lower Basin with bridge 58 in the background. The family on board are, left to right, William Longson, Mrs George Longson, Mrs Ann Longson and Lizzie Longson. It is presumed that the photo was taken on a Sunday and as the boat is heavilly laden, it is ready for an early departure on Monday.

On the boat Mars, tied up in the Lower Basin, this family group pose for the photographer. Second from the left, sat on the cabin leaning forward, William Longson. Extreme right , Mrs Ann Longson. The identities of the other people unknown. Mars Boat No. 28, Register No. 417, Goods Boat, initially stationed at Manchester and then to Gorton Canal Repair Yard with the 'Goods' struck through, built in February 1877. In the background on the right is the buttress joining bridges 58 and 59 and on the left the Goods Warehouse over the Lower Basin Arm. The photo is post August 1897 and the boat is in the livery of the Great Central Railway.

Samuel Bibbington's boat SHAELL moored in the Lower Basin. The Bibbington family, originally from Castleton near Rochdale, worked quarries on the western side of Dove Holes Dale and gave their name to the hamlet which grew up nearby. With 9 limekilns, their Victory Lime Works was opened around the time that the Stockport, Disley and Whaley Bridge Railway was extended to Buxton in 1863. S Bibbington remained independent when many local companies merged into Buxton Lime Firms Ltd in 1891.